Every time I press my left shoulder flares up, and it's gotten to the point where I can't really mobilize it properly because it causes weird pain throughout the lateral shoulder capsule. If I try to squat, Olympic lift, push press, or walk up fucking stairs my knees scream. Sometimes they hurt like hell when I get out of my car. My back aches every morning when I wake up.
I'm twenty-two. Somethings not right.
I've tried a lot of different things in a lot of different combinations. Mobility has been a constant. I've tried icing, resting, doing only certain movement variations, etc...all of them work, to a point, but nothing seems permanent. I think it's time to do something that really, really scares me. Something I haven't done in a long time.
I'm going to rest. Completely. For a month.
Until June 6th 2011, I am not going to train.
I am terrified. I'm scared of losing all my strength. I'm scared of getting fat. I'm scared of not doing the thing which has been the glue holding my life together for the past 8 years. But I'm going to do it. At the time which I would normally train, this is what will be going down.
1. Tensor Fasciae Latae, 2-3 minutes per side
2. Quads, 2-3 minutes per side
3. Glute/high hamstrings, 2-3 minutes per side
4. Gastrocs, 2-3 minutes per side
5. Spinal erectors/rhomboids/all that other stuff in there/thoracic extensions, 3 minutes
6. Lats, 2 minutes per side
7. Pecs, 2 minutes per side
1. Hip flexor PNF, 6 sets per side of 5 second contraction/10 second stretch
2. Hamstring PNF, 6 sets per side of 5 second contraction/10 second stretch
3. Glute grind with distraction, 2-3 minutes per side
4. Elevated Pigeon stretch 2-3 minutes per side
5. Overhead lat stretch PNF, 6 sets per side of 5 second contraction/10 second stretch
6. Pitcher stretch PNF, 6 sets per side of 5 second contraction/10 second stretch
2 per day, one upper body, one lower body
If this doesn't work, then I don't know what comes next. Sometime in this month I'm going to try and get a PT appointment with Kelly up at San Francisco CrossFit. It's worth my time and money.
Oh, and since I won't be able to use training as an outlet: I'm going to write. A lot. About training, about life. I'll even write poetry.
Yeah, I fucking write poetry. I'm pretty good at it sometimes. Big deal, wanna fight about it?
Look, it's late. Here's a poem I wrote a while back. Goodnight.
I believed in answers
Now even questions elude me
And you have nothing to say
Words slip through my lips
Like water through clenched fists
Tight as I may grip
And there is nothing you or I can do to save them
So I bare my bones to the fire
Having long since learned
That the heat may burn me
But it will never return me
To the ashes from whence we came
I am no phoenix
To be reborn in glory
I am it's shadow
To be forgotten in the brightness
Of my own blinding light